venerdì 6 luglio 2012

Two cars crashing in the night (evening)...

Two cars crashing in the night (evening)... When I lived in Siena, I did some translation work for a group called Radio Papesse (www.radiopapesse.org). It started out as an internship, and then I ended up taking various freelance museum audio guide projects. Some of them are attached to their website unde the archives. It was great fun, and work of which I am very proud. But, mostly, I am grateful because I met some really great people in the process. It is with these great people that I begin my tale today: I received a message via Facebook from Carola, one of the Papesse girls, inviting me to an art opening in Florence for the evening of the 5th. I couldn't say no. I love an art opening and I was eager to reconnect with old friends. So, on the 5th, I cleaned myself up, put on a dress and some make up and headed to Florence, armed with google maps directions to the Villa Romana (www.villaromana.org), where I would see an exhibition of the work of Gianfranco Baruchello. I followed the directions meticulously and when I thought I was almost there, I parked the car in a free (i.e. you don't have to pay) spot outside the walls of the city. I knew it was going to be dicey getting the car out, because of the traffic pattern behind me, but I figured it would be late and there would be less traffic then. So, I left the car and started off on foot. I walked and walked and walked. When I eventually found the Villa Romana, and saw that there was ample free parking on the street out front, I decided to go move the car. I had plenty of time, seeing as I was 20 minutes early (a feat which almost never happens). I set off back to the car, still with plenty of time. I got in the car. I secured my seat belt. I took a slug of warm tea from the bottle next to me. I was ready. I looked in the mirror and eased out of the spot. I got into the lane of traffic without any problem, and then I decided to make a quick u-turn. Wrong... As I turned the wheel, a little Opel Corsa came from nowhere and I hit her. It was totally my fault, since I was making this STUPID U-turn from the inside lane... What was I thinking?? In all honesty, I didn't think I had hit her. I didn't feel an impact, onlt the force of the car stopping abruptly. I got out and surveyed my damage. I had a rub mark on my front left bumper and that was it. I am going to pick up some rubbing compound and rub it out without any problem... Her car, well, there is a dent and a scratch and a HUGE rub mark. She is going to need some body work... I felt really bad, because it WAS my fault. But, geez... I have never had an accident in Italy before, and apparently neither had she. She called her husband and he instructed her to get me to fill in the CID which is an accident report you submit to the insurance when there is not much damage and you don't call the police. I think it is a great idea, and we should have this system in the States. It would make Judge Milian's job on the People's Court SO MUCH EASIER!! Anyhow, we filled in the report, as best as we could. The whole thing was in Italian, and much of it was asking information I could not provide, like in what State the car was registered... It wasn't on any of the little slips of paper I could find. At least no one was hurt. She was terribly nice, this poor Cristina B. who found herself in my path last night. And, maybe she will at least have a fun story to share with her friends and family about how she met this crazy American who rammed into her and kept nattering on about how she had never had an accident before... she couldn't understand what she was thinking... how it was totally her fault... (All things I would NEVER have admitted at home, but since the car has comprehensive insurance under their policy and I am not financially responsible for any of it, I figured I was in the clear.) In any case, I was able to get it all filled in, and get back on my way, now 20 minutes late for the start, but 10 minutes early for the presentation. I found a great spot right out front of the Villa, went in and met up with Carola and Ilaria. I had a wonderful evening, sipping wine, listening to an art historian have a Q&A session with the artist himself and then partaking in an al fresco dinner after. (Actually, I didn't eat, since I had eaten before leaving home, but I sat and enjoyed the company and conversation of long lost friends.) An evening that started with a BANG (or at least a CRASH) ended very quietly, and peacefully. I returned to Castel del Bosco around 1 in the morning, and waited an hour for my AP scores to post (the College Board was posting at 8PM US Time). Much as the evening was a net success, the AP scores were a net success. I had 5 pass, 6 not, but I don't count the one kid who got a 1 because he did no work all year and told me he wasn't even going to prepare for the test or answer the questions seriously. (Nice...) The scores that passed were good and I was pleased overall with the results. Just like my evening: serene, but with a few bumps along the way. Isn't that just like life?

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento