martedì 15 giugno 2021

Day one run


I did not set an alarm this morning. I didn’t see any reason to. There were no SFS students waiting for me; there was no puppy needing a walk. Besides, my body automatically wakes at 5am every morning. How tired could I be? 

 10:38 tired. That’s how tired!! Whoa! I cannot remember the last time I slept that long! As Jerry would say, “your body needed the rest.” So I bolted out of bed, took my medicine and closed my eyes for 45 minutes. Before my quick last few minutes, I went onto Facebook and posed a question to two groups: the local Castel del Bosco group and a DM to Varramista. My question: is the tree covered avenue open to walkers and runners? 

 When my rest had run its course, I was ready to run mine. But, where? I had gotten no reply from my online queries. I guess it is better to ask forgiveness than permission. So I got dressed, put on my shoes, and headed out the front door. 

 I turn right at the front door and headed down the hill. I turned the corner and made my way to the main road. I turned left and made my way to the overpass across to the estate. It was hot, as it was mid day. I made my way across the bridge and onto the estate. 

Familiar sights and smells of the farm made me feel like the last two years has not happened. Indeed, I was the only one out exercising. I couldn’t tell if it was because of the Covid restrictions that the estate had put on exercising on their grounds. Or, was it because I was the only idiot in the area who would go out and run under the blazing sun? 

Either way, I was feeling a little trepidatious. I was afraid that at any moment a guard would come rushing towards me and order me off the property. I avoided the tree covered avenue. I ran alongside the estate. I figured I would only run 3 miles today because of the heat and because of my uncertainty surrounding my route. I turned back and made my way home. 

 No one stopped me. No one questioned me. I suppose I’m grateful. However, it would’ve been nice to know one way or the other whether I was allowed to be there. I plan to try again tomorrow, earlier and to go further down the road which skirts the estate. I remember there being a pig farm down there at some point. Other than that, I have no idea what I shall find. 

 The adventure continues.

1 commento: