lunedì 28 giugno 2021

 Every once in a while, I find there is something I have never seen or something I didn’t know existed. The fact that Montelupo has an archeological museum and, apparently, a Roman villa was news to me. Montelupo is the city of ceramics, and the home of Eugenio Taccini, the maestro who created all of my pinochios (see earlier post on the story of the Pinocchio and the Carabiniere painting). I haven’t been to Montelupo since 2012 and I thought today was as good a day as any. I would start my trip by going to the museum of ceramics. I went back in 2002, when there was a huge night festival of ceramics and the museum was open to the public. But, in the intervening years, it has moved into a much bigger and more impressive building.  The ceramics on display are largely the same, however.

I drove to Montelupo, a short 20 minute jaunt down the Fi-Pi-Li towards Florence. I parked and walked about a block to the museum. Upon entering, I was greeted, cheerfully, by two girls working the desk.  I announced I wanted one regular ticket. I was asked if I qualified for discounts (again with the discounts). After I explained that I am American and quite certain I don’t qualify for any reduction on the 5 euro ticket, I was presented with a pamphlet explaining all of the museums in the area and invited to go upstairs to see the collection.  I explained that I am a Latin teacher from America and was very interested in the archeology museum. The second girl said that I was in luck because she believed it was open and that I should save my ticket because it will get me in there, too.

I trudged upstairs and went through the collection. It isn’t terribly extensive and it was, as I said, not changed in 20 years, just in a different case. I kind of wish I had gotten the audio guide. Anyhow, I exited the museum and went to my car. I was on a mission, because I was quite sure the archeological museum would be better. And a Roman villa!









I drove the 7 minutes, following the GPS dutifully. It deposited me in front of a church. It was at that time that Jerry called to check in. I sat in the air conditioned car (it was 36C outside) for a few minutes and chatted. I wasn’t sure if the museum was in the church or nor, so I went on my way to investigate.


I soon discovered that the museum was a few minutes walk down the road, surrounded by a lovely park. I bet in March, when it is 65 degrees and misting rain, it is absolutely heavenly. But, in June at 95 degrees, it is less pleasant. I found my way to the front of the museum to discover that it is, in fact, NOT open today. It is not open most days. 





At least I have an email address to contact to arrange a visit to both the museum and the villa. I will keep you posted on that front. But, after being a bit disappointed by the museum being closed, I tried my luck with visiting Taccini’s studio. It said it was open until 7pm. I had plenty of time. I walked back to the car, parked in the church lot, and plugged the address into the GPS. Although I had a vague idea where it was, I was not sure I’d drive directly to it. 

5 minutes later, I found myself parking my car by the River Pesa and walking into the pedestrian borgo that is the home to several ceramicists and artistic ventures. Taccini is just on the left.






As you can see. Maestro Taccini was not there. He did, however, leave a telephone number. But, I am not about to call him. I hate the phone in any language. So, I gathered my sad self and went back to the car.  Where to now? It was still on the early side so I decided to try the Prada outlet in Fucecchio. I checked the internet and it said “open until 7pm” and plugged the address (via F. Magnella, 5) into the GPS. 

20 minutes later, I was turning onto the familiar street. I had been there a number of times before. I parked the car and looked for the entrance. No entrance. I walked up and down and there was no way to get in without being buzzed in. That was kind of the last straw. I decided to look on the internet again (what would we do without cell phones?) and get the number. I was going to call. As much as I hate to speak on the phone, and in Italian!, I sucked it up, swallowed my fear, and called. The phone range twice and then went to a message: questo numero e’ inesistente. That means, they have closed up shop and turned off the phones! Ugh. Incredibly disappointed.



I decided it was time to bring it on home so I got back in the car and went the back road from Fucecchio to Santa Maria al Monte. The road went quick. I soon found myself at the traffic circle in front of my grocery store, the Coop.  There is a clothing store I have enjoyed before, called All Goods. It is in a building constructed from shipping containers. I decided to stop there. I got out of the car (there seemed to be cars in front) and approached the door. It was closed. Lights off. Doors locked,

I tried to take a picture, but my phone evidently didn’t want to because when I sat down at home to review my day’s pictures, I noticed it was not there. I guess it is just par for the course today. 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento