domenica 20 giugno 2021

 Today was a day full of new experiences. First, instead of walking at Varramista, I decided to walk behind Castel del Bosco and go across the bridge over the train tracks and see where that road led. It was a pleasant, unpaved road that seemed to go on forever. At certain points where were passages under the train tracks to paved roads that went a ways.  I tried one to its end and then headed back to the main, unpaved path. At the 3.25 mile mark, I decided t head back. 





It was at that point that I hear loud noises bellowing over the Go-Go’s humming in my ears. It sounded undoubtedly like gunfire. But, how could there be gunfire? I walked toward the noise through a parking lot, where I saw and outdoor short range firing range. Shooting Sport Training Pisa has a “poligono di tiro” (shooting range) with lanes of 15 and 60 meters. Who knew? I immediately snapped a couple of pics and sent them directly to Jerry. I hoped that would meet with his approval.

Upon returning home, I had lunch and cleaned up. I had decided that in the afternoon, I would take a little drive to Santa Luce where there was a lavender festival.  Apparently, someone had planted several fields of lavender and they were in full bloom. So, I set out. The GPS led me perfectly to a field by the side of the road. I pull the car over and paid my entry (I opted for the 10euro entry with the lavender product gift bag). The field wasn’t very interesting or exciting.  I walked through and took a few, perfunctory pictures.  As I was leaving, the woman at the gate shouted at me, “The entry fee included the other field up the road.” I nodded and walked to my car.  I wasn’t sure i needed another field. But, my car was pointed in that direction and I needed to go in that direction to turn around anyway…





Boy, am I glad I did. The “other” field was the principal field, huge and on a long, sloping picturesque hill. There was a large parking lot and lots of vendors selling natural, local products. The field was not just lavender but also sage, which also flowers. I parked and wandered around a bit. By the time I had had enough of the lavender, I went back to the car. However, I was not ready t go home.  I decided to make a side visit to Lari. You see signs for Lari all over the place with a “castle” looking icon next to it. I figured today was as good a day as any to make a visit. 







It was only 14 kilometers from Santa Luce to Lari. I made the trip quickly and efficiently. I drove right to the city walls and found a parking place. I walked into the old city center and quickly found the stairs leading to the top of the stronghold. There is no entry fee. You can see for miles around for free. The breeze was heavenly (in fact, y0u feel closer to heaven looking down onto the Tuscan countryside). After taking a number of pictures, I decided to head back to the car. I made my descent slowly and carefully. The castle steps leave you directly in front of a sign which says “gelato artigianale” (artisan ice cream). Danger zone! I thought to myself, “No harm in looking.” So, I poked my head in and sure enough, in the case was a light purple confectionary with the title “lavanda.” I took it as a sign from above that God wanted me to have some ice cream. I had never had lavender ice cream. Most know that my very favorite ice cream in the world is rose flavored ice cream (specifically the rose ice cream found next to the Pantheon at La Cremerie). I had to try it. The small cup of lavender ice cream cost 2euros and was worth every centesimo. I sat at the small table outside the gelateria and ate my treat. It was a real treat, especially since I am watching what I am eating here. But, I relished every bite. 


It was the perfect end to a perfect day in Italy. 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento